Monday, February 9, 2009

Talking Point #1 (McIntosh/Muwakkil

In the articles that McIntosh and Muwakkil write, they argue that there are unearned privileges and power that white people and males have. The article talks about how most of the people who are privileged do not like to recognize it and are taught to be oblivious to it.

Some quotes and statistics that interested me from the articles were "white applicants with prison records were still more likely to be hired than black men without them." This was surprising to me and shows that there is still a good bit of racial biases in the united states. A quote I liked was "White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, code books, visas, clothes, tools, and blank checks." This quote from McIntosh's article helped me look at her argument a different way and understand it better

I liked how in McIntosh's article she gave us a list of ways that showed white privileges. This also helped me to follow her argument a little better. I felt that this weeks read was much easier to follow compared to Delpit's article because in these articles it got rate to the point and gave good examples. I think that both of these articles are with Johnson's argument because they say there is privileges that are ignored and not realized by some and Johnson would say that we should talk about these privileges and powers

2 comments:

  1. I also thought that the statistic about the white men with criminal records being hired over black men with no criminal record was very surprising. That's terrible. People should be judged on their actions and not on their skin color. They'd rather hire white men who made bad choices over black men who never did anything wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what shayla said..it makes no sense at all....but that is just what people will do today...and why....because they can

    ReplyDelete